Welcome to an Introduction to Freedom of Information (FOI). This training is for all civil servants and requires no prior knowledge. It covers the basics of the Freedom of Information Act and how it works within the Cayman Islands Government. We will highlight:
- Why we have an FOI Act and the benefits of openness.
- Definitions of key terms and concepts.
- Various ways to access information and what constitutes an FOI request.
- Basic procedures for FOI requests, including timelines.
- Your role as a civil servant and where you can learn more.
Do you interact with members of the public and want to be confident handling any question they may have? Do you want to have a better understanding of whether the records and information you create and maintain – including your emails and instant messages – might be disclosed if someone asks for it? Do you want to be able to support your Information Manager and promote transparency, accountability, and public participation in national decision-making? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you’ve come to the right place.
Please complete the registration form below before you commence the training – failure to do so may result in you being asked to repeat the training as information regarding your course completion will not be captured by your department.
Please Login with your CSC username and Password to register for this course